Animal Skin and Allergy Clinic Blog
No Sun? No Problem! Rainy Day Activities for Pets
Most of us enjoy engaging in outdoor activities with our pets when the weather is nice, but what about those days when it’s raining cats and dogs? Are there any rainy day activities for pets that will keep your four-legged pal occupied indoors? Yes! Check out these ideas that are sure to keep your pet entertained no matter the forecast.
The Benefits of Being Active
More than 50% of pets in the U.S. are overweight or obese, so it’s essential to stay active – even during inclement weather. Mental activity is also important to stave off boredom, which can lead to a host of behavioral issues. Keeping your pet engaged both physically and mentally is better for everyone’s health and happiness.
Consider These Rainy Day Activities for Pets
Check out this list put together by the team at Animal Skin and Allergy Clinic! It includes some great ideas on how to keep your pet active while cooped up inside:
- Hall ball – Use a long hallway in your home for a little indoor ball. Roll the ball down the hall, and let your dog chase it down and bring it back to you. Still bored? Try throwing the ball up the stairs, and let your dog go wild chasing it around.
- New tricks – Cats and dogs can learn new tricks at any age. Choose search-and-sniff, fetch, or dancing. They’ll love the physical and mental challenge! You can also practice your pet’s skills with basic commands. This strengthens your bond and provides your pet with psychological fulfillment.
- Interactive food puzzles – Purchase a food puzzle for your pet that gets them working and using their natural instincts while doling out a tasty reward. Alternatively, try hiding cat treats on high perches and in cat trees to simulate a hunt and get your feline moving.
- Search and sniff – Put your dog’s scenting skills to work by hiding treats (or even their regular meal) in different areas around your home. This will keep them busy and encourage a lot of movement and mental exercise.
- Feather wand play – Get your cat to show off their athletic prowess with a feather wand. They’ll jump, leap, and generally astound you with their moves. Remember to act like prey – no self-respecting mouse would be easy to catch!
- Play date – Perhaps your dog has a best friend. In this case, a play date could be a great way to spend a rainy day.
- Shopping trip – Feeling cooped up? Take your dog out shopping at a local pet specialty store, like PetSmart or Mud Bay.
- Doga – It may sound silly, but yoga with your dog or cat can be fun, help you maintain balance, and strengthen your bond with your pet – oh, and it’s healthy! (Did you know that Doga started at the Seattle Humane Society?)
- Grooming – After all that activity, treat your pet to a quiet grooming session. Not only does grooming help keep your pet’s coat looking beautiful, it’s also a great way to stay on top of any developing health issues.
We hope this has generated some helpful ideas for rainy day activities for pets. Did we miss something? Call us and let us know!